Friday, July 01, 2016

Let Freedom Ring - Fabric Frenzy Friday!


Well, hello quilty friends!

It is Friday, which means that it is time for another Fabric Frenzy Friday over at Fort Worth Fabric Studio!  I was so honored and thrilled recently to be asked if I would like to be a contributor for these fun fabric bundle Fridays.  Of course, I said I would LOVE to!!

This Friday's bundle is called Let Freedom Ring and it is a perfect combination of fabrics for creating something patriotic for the upcoming Fourth of July holiday and all those other days when we love to celebrate our nation!

I especially loved this bundle because it not only has seven fun fat quarters, but also comes with this US map panel.  I love this!  When I saw the panel my mind started dreaming up possibilities.


I decided to make a patriotic quilt that you can hang or use as table topper for the holiday.



The neat thing about this quilt is that I decided to use the US map panel as the backing for the quilt!  Some of you may know that my full time job is home school mom.  I thought it would be really fun if  when this quilt is not being used as a patriotic decoration, it could be used as a learning tool.  Even moms who don"t home school could really enjoy using this map with their preschoolers or as a wall decoration in a playroom.  You could even use it for some learning games!  Get a few beanbags and have the kids toss the beanbag and name the capital of the state it lands on.



There are so many fun ways you could use these fat quarters for a quilt!  I chose to use a pattern that is available from Fort Worth Fabric Studio.  The pattern is called Silver Star by Villa Rosa Designs.  I love these little patterns.  I happened upon these Rose Cards patterns at a quilt show and have made several of their designs.  They are super fun because they only cost $2 and the entire pattern is contained on the back of the postcard - photo on front and fabric requirements/pattern on back.  Such a clever idea!

So before I give a little more information about how I put the quilt together, I'll give you the list of the fabrics I used.

Fabrics Used (all from Fort Worth Fabric Studio):

* 1 Let Freedom Ring Bundle (includes the US map panel) - this is used for the star, the top and bottom borders, part of the backing, and scrappy binding
*1/2 yard Riley Blake Swiss Dots Red - star background
*1/2 yard Celebration Red Stars by Northcott - part of the backing


From the bundle I chose the two red prints, the dark blue print, and the red, white and blue stripe for the star points.  I cut my squares to use for these half square triangles (HSTs) a little bigger than the pattern calls for.  When the amount of fabric allows, I prefer to oversize my HSTs and trim them down a bit.  


I also cut 2 rectangles for the two borders from each of the prints I used for the star - one rectangle per border.  The other 8 rectangles for the borders I cut from the really fun firework print.
 

The pattern calls 3/8 yard for the border.  Instead I used the red and white stripe fat quarter from the bundle to cut the border strips.  While you can't cut 4 complete strips for the border, the one fat quarter is more than enough to create pieced strips for the border.  I even added a little extra interest by cutting some squares from the dark blue print to use as corner posts on the border.

For the backing I used the US map panel as the focus.  Because it is not quite large enough for the entire backing, I added some additional fabric all the way around it.  I cut the 1/2 yard of the Celebration Red Stars into two long strips and added them to the top and bottom of the map panel.  I also cut the red and blue star fat quarter into strips, pieced them together, and added them to the left and right sides of the panel.  After quilting and trimming the quilt, there won't be much of the star print visible, but it came in handy to extend the backing.


Then it's time to layer, quilt and bind!  I had a lot of fun free motion quilting an all-over design of swirls and rounded point stars.  You will have plenty of fabrics left over to create a fun scrappy binding for this patriotic quilt (I love scrappy bindings!!)



Thanks for stopping by the blog today.  I had a lot of fun creating this quilt for Fort Worth Fabric Studio and sharing it with you!  Go on over and visit their website for this super cute bundle, the pattern, and the few extra fabrics you'll need for this fun quilt.  It's so quick and easy.  I know you can get it done to hang for the next patriotic holiday!!  

Blessings,
Celeste





1 comment:

Taunja Kelvington said...

This is just a great holiday table topper! Love it and love what you did with the backing also! Great project Celeste!!