Friday, June 21, 2013

Plain Vanilla

Every year my sweet nieces sell magazine subscriptions as a fundraiser for their Christian school.  This year I decided I ought to subscribe to Martha Stewart Living again.  It has been so very long.  Needless to say, I have a whole stack of unread magazines.  Yes, they are lovely, but after a few issues I realized how far Martha's path and mine had diverged.  Were they ever really even close?

I find myself thinking how hard it must be to work at the Martha Stewart Magazine company.  I mean, really, these people have to work to keep digging up new stuff for these articles.  Sometimes I am not sure where they find it all!

I do not forsee myself baking tarts for Bastille Day, inspecting my beehives, or placing straw under my pumpkins (?). 

Anyway, I digress.

The true purpose of this article is really about ice cream.  Yes, ice cream.

Now, first, let me warn you we are ICE CREAM PEOPLE.  You would fall over backward if you really knew the amount of Blue Bell flavors we have at this or any given moment.  In fact, we really only keep the important stuff like ice and ice cream in the kitchen freezer.  The other less important items like beef, chicken and frozen veggies get to hang out in the freezer in the laundry room.  Priorities.

This evening I was rather pleased to see there was an article in the latest issue of Living about ice cream.  Perfect summer time article.  Ice cream.  Actually, perfect anytime article.  Anyway, I flipped to the article, read a few photo captions, and seriously, burst ought laughing.  I guess I have been a Blue Bell fan for far too long (nah).  I know I am prejudiced and I am very OK with that.  But, even so, I am just not sure my delicate palette can handle the flavors the article was suggesting I should make for our summertime enjoyment.

I am not sure which I will try first: Avocado Cilantro Sherbet or..... Sweet Corn and Basil Ice Cream.  You?

How about some Cucumber, Celery, and Gin Sorbet?

Oh, wait.  I know.  I think I am going for the Strawberry Aperol Sorbet.  What's an Aperol?

The Cantaloupe, Tarragon, and Vodka Sherbet might be a hit with the kids.

And who really puts roses and lavendar in ice cream? If you want to dress things up you can always just add Hershey's Chocolate Syrup!

I think I will remain a die hard Blue Bell fan.  I feel like I can trust them.  Count on them in my need.

How about some Homemade Vanilla?

PS - Next time I order magazines, remind me to stick with quilting ones.
PPS or PSS (whichever) - If you are surprised that I could write this extensively about ice cream, just remember my freezer!

No comments: