Friday, April 10, 2009

A little sewing here and there

OK. Maybe a lot of sewing here and there and everywhere!

As our lives have returned to normal I have been enjoying my quilting so much. I love having a dedicated spot to sew. I love being able to see my fabrics and available projects. I told the kids today while we were all in the gameroom sewing, playing, and coloring that I am really enjoying the gameroom because it gives me an opportunity to be doing something I enjoy with all of them while they are doing things they enjoy (sometimes it might be school :)). I always felt like I was hiding in my bedroom to sew. I felt so far away from everyone. But that was the best space for it in the other house. I am just enjoying this new space so much. Brian insists that as the kids grow up and leave that I will slowly take over the entire upstairs. Hmmmm.

Here are a couple of completed projects.

One of the little projects I completed was a little stuffed Easter bunny and an egg. You can see them in my previous post. I found the free pattern for the bunny at Wee Wonderfuls. I made his ears a little differently and I had issues attaching his bottom, but all in all it turned out really cute. The egg was so easy. I found this nifty little tutorial linked off the Sew, Mama, Sew! blog. I intended to make more, but never got around to it. Maybe next year.

Last week, I had friends over for a quilting night and I completed this quilt while we had lots of fun! I had based it on this quilt over at Crazy Mom Quilts (one of my favorites!). I had charm squares in this Heather Bailey fabric line and I sewed them on top of some off white colored fabric. It is a wonderfully old fashioned and cozy looking quilt. I have it draped on one of the sofas and it makes me happy to see it and use it.



One of my other quick and oh, so fun projects was to make this bag that I had bought the pattern and fabric for two quilt shows ago! I am not sure why I hadn't worked on it until now, but I could kick myself for not doing it sooner. It was the best pattern - so easy to follow and well written. The bag itself was simple to construct and went together in a very finished looking way. I was so happy to gift it to one of my best friends who just had her first baby girl. She needed a good, girly diaper bag!

Well, we are off to Stations of the Cross. Hopefully I can find an opportunity to sew some more this weekend. I have three projects I am in the finishing stages on and one is a bit more urgent than the others! Pictures are forthcoming! Happy sewing!

2 comments:

mom-in-training said...

A little sewing here and there doesn't even begin to describe it! I don't know how you do it, but everything you create - and you create a lot :) - is just amazing. I love how your quilt and bag turned out, and I love even more how my extra special quilt turned out. Thank you again, dearest friend. Love you!
-REO

mom-in-training said...

What a fun background!!! I just love the colors and those cute little strawberries. I was so impressed by your new look I went and researched how to change mine as well. If I'd known it was going to be so easy I'd have done it a long time ago!!! :) Very cool! -REO