Monday, March 27, 2006

Yes, my hands are full

The other day I made a trip to the mall with all three little ones to finish a little shopping for Brian's birthday and return something I had bought. Jacob had the job of pushing Nicole in the stroller, which he did happily. I pushed Andrew. We made our way and the children were very well behaved, if I do say so myself. During our trip three different salespeople said the exact same thing to me, "My, your hands are full." While I know that they mean nothing rude by it, it is funny to me that so many people I cross paths with make this same comment. And I only have three!!!!

I know these salespeople meant well and surely were referring to the amount of energy, time and hard work mothering three little ones requires. I couldn't agree with them more! It is the most difficult line of employment I have been in thus far. I guess I am just wondering if the comment is sometimes a reflection of our general culture's view that children are more of a burden than a blessing. I just pray that my efforts to reply kindly to their comments and the sight of my carefree little ones and I tromping happily through the mall with our Sonic Slushies are a small witness to the blessing that this life I lead truly is.

As a sweet friend of mine and mother of five has said in response to this same comment from various observers, "Yes, my hands are full, but so is my heart." Amen!

No comments: