Wednesday, April 19, 2006

STRIKE!!!!!!


What a guy! Posted by Picasa

As I mentioned, the days following Easter proved to be anything but glorious. Monday morning at 11:15 am, sweet little Andrew decided to go on strike - a nursing strike. Now I have weathered 2 previous strikes, one with Jacob and one with Nicole, but this one has proven to be the most difficult of all. I can say this now as we come out of the dark woods and into the glorious sunshine of nursing again. He finally decided Tuesday afternoon to give in and since then he has nursed each time it has been offered. I can tell it is not all roses yet - the relationship is not quite back to normal, but I see GREAT progress and recovery and I have HOPE! I am not sure what brought it on. He had been feverish off and on since Saturday night, but with no other noticeable symptoms. We even took him to the Dr. on Monday afternoon - no luck! Quite a mystery in some ways and maybe I will never fully understand how it all transpired.

I have had much time to think and worry and I am tired. It is a very distressing thing to not be able to provide the nourishment and comfort your child needs and, despite his obvious rejection, desires. Of the three strikes, this one was the most drastic and his rejections were quite violent. Lots of back arching, head rearing, arm flailing and screaming. He is getting more and more back to normal, but I am still nervous and apprehensive as I sit down to nurse each time. I don't want to do this again. I don't want to chance him being pushed away again. Slowly I am recovering too.

I have always known that I love breastfeeding. It is a wonderful, glorious, beautiful relationship. I have always treasured it and valued it. Even so, you don't know how much you love it till it's gone. With every nursing since the strike has been over, I have been singing praises and thanks to God in my heart. I will treasure it anew! May God bless my efforts and calm Andrew's anxiousness. Bring us a new beginning to this precious time we share. The lyrics to this hymn have been in my head:

"Come back to me with all your heart.
Don't let fear keep us apart.
Long have I waited for your coming home
to me and living deeply our new life."

May it be so.

Today has been much more joyful. Andrew has been really working on his pulling up and standing. As you can see he is doing well and really enjoying his abilities. Maybe this new found independence is partly to blame for his strike. Even so, it is fun to watch him master new things. He has also been throwing ball, Easter eggs, etc. into buckets and baskets - what fun!

We are recovering and life is slowly getting back to normal - if there ever was such a thing! :)

No comments: