Thursday, September 07, 2006

One more thought on submission

Please, oh, please, if I may bend your ear one more time on this one. :))

This morning I was reading the daily Mass readings (see neat link in sidebar) and my daily reflection book, and of course the reading seemed oddly connected. It is the Gospel story of Jesus' call to Peter. Jesus gets in Peter's boat to teach the crowds from there. Peter and his companions had been out fishing all night and had caught nothing. Jesus then tells Peter to go back out on the lake and cast his nets into the deep. Peter is doubtful, but then says he will do it.

"Master, we have worked hard all night and have caught nothing,
but at your command I will lower the nets."

He was successful.

What's the point here? Well, much like what I wrote about yesterday, Peter could have thought of lots of reasons why he should not go back out with his nets. He was an experienced fisherman, he'd been out there all night without a catch, and he was probably pretty exhausted. Yet he obeys this man he hardly knows. And his obedience brought a successful catch. I can think of lots of reasons why a particular thing my husband would choose to do is not a great idea, but maybe my obedience and submission would bring about more success than if I put up a fight. My reflection book said it simply. "Obedience brings strength." Why? I believe that obedience to God and to the helpmate He gave me are part of His plan for me. Therefore, through following this plan, success will always follow. Maybe it won't always be easy or fun, but it will bring success in the eyes of God.

Well, just a little more food for thought as we begin this day. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Great thoughts...thanks for sharing them!

I thought about that post all day long yesterday, and it was first and foremost on my mind upon awakening this morning.

I've got a lot of work ahead of me. :)

He who wears the most black wins. said...

Right on! Couldn't have said it better myself.

I thought about it a lot, too, yesterday. In fact, I passed it on to some of my women friends. Maybe we can all support each other to listen a little more and talk a little less. ;)

Good bless!