Wednesday, March 07, 2007

A week and a half in review

Challenges sent our way:

* Unexpected c-section

* AWFUL referred shoulder pain following said c-section (possibly more painful than the incision itself!)

* Painful tailbone bruising - after all, I did labor a sunny side up baby BEFORE the c-section

* Millions of questions related to the c-section, the symptoms, etc. (I love you Michele!)

* Newborn Michael losing 10% of his body weight in the hospital. Pediatrician asked us to supplement for a couple of days

* Extra effort to supplement Michael with a teeny tiny tube and syringe while I nurse.

* Inability to move and do all the things I would normally be able to do after a birth.

* From the Friday morning before giving birth to the end of my hospital stay, I could count on one hand the hours of sleep I had.

* Stomach virus and other various symptoms and sniffles.


Blessings sent our way:

* Very well-done c-section by my own OB

* Referred shoulder pain - GONE; tailbone pain - GONE; most pain from the c-section - GONE!

* A very dear friend who was so willing to answer all my very crazy questions about my c-section

* Went home Tuesday with Michael down to 7lbs. 4 oz. Went to doctor Thursday morning and he was back up to 7 lbs. 14 oz. I think he is nursing well now and he is sure wetting diapers like there's no tomorrow. Go back for 2 week checkup on 3/14. Pray for good weight gain!

* Supplementing went well - now we're done!


* I feel great now! I made a turn for the better over the weekend. I feel so much more normal! I know I still have more healing and recovery to do, but I know I will get there! I have my check-up tomorrow.


* Since coming home sleep has improved. I still have to wake up at night, but I am able to sleep in MY bed with my baby next to me. Aaaaaaah!


* The stomach virus hit yesterday, not last week. Last week I felt crummy and couldn't have done what I can do now to take care of the necessities around the house like meal prep, etc. You see, Brian has sole custody of the sick child.


* Brian is HOME!!!!! And he won't go back till next week. Hopefully everyone will be well by then. I couldn't do this whole newborn and stomach virus thing without his help.


* I have dear friends and family who help out in countless ways! We need them so much!


* The knowledge that current conditions will not go on forever. There will be an end to the stomach bug and Michael will continue to grow and change. There is so much ahead of us to enjoy!!!!!!!!!!


FINAL BLESSING!!!!

2 comments:

Mom of boys said...

I'm so glad to hear that you are feeling better!

Yep, I have to agree that the referred shoulder pain is probably the worst! Luckily it doesn't last too long!

Crafty Mom said...

Oh my goodness! What a whirlwind. Don't worry about the weight thing. Katie lost over 10% and it took her a month to gain her birthweight back. Luckily my doctor was okay with it, and we all know she turned out great. Some kids are just different!!