Friday, June 05, 2009

Mini Quilt Monday, Started on Tuesday Night, Finished on Thursday

I noticed that Crazy Mom Quilts (aka amandajean) was joining in another quilting pool on Flickr called Mini Quilt Monday. I love the idea of mini quilts. Small and so cute. Quick and easy to complete. Perfect way to showcase a little bit of fabric you love or a technique.

I had three fat quarters of Michael Miller fabrics that I picked up at a local quilt shop. They are such happy fabrics. I had been wanting to cut into them to make some nine patches for my quilt along, but couldn't! I knew if I cut into them then someday when I wanted to do something "official" with the fat quarters, I wouldn't have enough. So I decided that this was an excellent time to make a mini quilt with the fabrics. First I sewed three long 1 1/2" strips together and then cut those into 3 1/2" blocks. Then I cut some solid 3 1/2" blocks. The quilt kept on evolving. The I decided I would cut out 1 1/2" squares and surround them with some pink I had in my stash. I didn't like one of the four. Then I cut four of my 3 1/2" solid squares into fourths and sewed the little squares onto the corners of other 3 1/2" blocks to make sort of snowballs. Then I threw in some brown and aqua polka dot squares from my stash and then a Woodland Bloom border. The quilt was completely dreamed up as I went along until I had 20 squares and a design I liked. What fun! And the result.......

I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!


It is a wonderful size to top an end table, hang on a wall or use as a doll quilt - 14 x 17.


Here is the pieced back. Almost like two quilts in one!


Maybe you can try your hand at a mini creation. They take so little time and are so much fun. I am not sure I will do one for every Monday, but what fun! I do have one in the works for next Monday to showcase a fat quarter of another fabric line I love.

Take a look at the Flickr group and don't forget to check in on the nine patch quilt along!

Blessings to you all!

No comments: