Friday, June 12, 2009

My Machine

Sew, Mama, Sew! blog has been hosting a Sewing Machine Meme and I am finally getting around to answering it! Hooray for me. Hope its helpful to someone.

What brand and model do you have?

I have a Kenmore Computerized sewing machine that says it has 110 stitch functions. I am not too sure about that number since I really haven't used many yet. That's not the reason I got it.

How long have you had it?

I bought this machine the day after Thanksgiving in 2008!

How much does that machine cost (approximately)?

It's regular price is $299, but I got it on sale for $249. Not terribly expensive, but more than the $99 I spent on my first Kenmore machine. I loved my first basic Kenmore machine that I bought back in 2001.

What types of things do you sew (i.e. quilting, clothing, handbags, home dec projects, etc.)?

Mostly quilts, but I occasionally branch out to a skirt or a bag.

How much do you sew? How much wear and tear does the machine get?

I sew just about everyday, even if it's just a bit. Yes, there are days that go buy when I don't sew. I would say my machine gets a good bit of use and does lots of quilting.

Do you like/love/hate your machine? Are you ambivalent? Passionate? Does she have a name?

I absolutely love my machine! I loved my old Kenmore and it served me well for seven years without any troubles - ever. It was so basic and I was ready to be able to do more. The reviews were great for my model and so I got another Kenmore. I am still thrilled!

What features does your machine have that work well for you?

They are pretty silly things, but I sure like the feel of the starting and stopping on my computerized machine versus my old one. I also love being able to control the speed. My other machine would not handle free motion quilting, but this one does beautifully!

Is there anything that drives you nuts about your machine?

Nope.

Do you have a great story to share about your machine (i.e., Found it under the Christmas tree? Dropped it on the kitchen floor? Sewed your fingernail to your zipper?, Got it from your Great Grandma?, etc.!)? We want to hear it!

Not really.

Would you recommend the machine to others? Why?

I certainly would. I can't say I wouldn't love to have an even better machine someday that has other features that would be great for quilting (longer arm!). But it is a great machine for a really reasonable price. I pray I will get many years of joy from it.

What factors do you think are important to consider when looking for a new machine?

Think about what you want to use it for and how often you think you might use it. Then try to match the features and the price to real life. After doing so much with such a basic machine for so many years, I think it is not a great idea to buy more than you may need. You can always replace it later, with a different model. I had 10 people who wanted to buy my seven year old machine that I spent $99 on for $50! Now that's resale value!

Do you have a dream machine?

To others, maybe not. To me, YES!


No comments: