Thursday, August 03, 2006

Thursday in Photo Review (and a few comments too!)





Well, tonight Brian's brother, sister-in-law, and two nieces are coming in for a visit. The kids are really excited to see them tomorrow and begin having fun! I recently emailed my mother-in-law and volunteered the kids and I to bake cookies for the weekend. So today we baked and baked. At least 75-85 cookies! We baked peanut butter and chocolate chip. The kids love to bake and sample the ingredients as we go along.




After all the baking and a bit of errand running, I was tired and so I served up a gourmet dinner of grilled cheese sandwiches, fruit and leftover green beans. It was received well by all (minus the green beans). :) Of course it was! I didn't put any work into it. It seems it's always those lovely recipes that take all afternoon that result in questionable reviews (I don't mean Brian).

As I type Brian is outside waging war on ants. It is a bitter battle and one that is not easily won. I have been fighting for weeks now and Raid just isn't cutting it anymore. We can't drop food on the floor fast enough for these ants! Yesterday the most awesome of all ant feats occured. I am sure it made their evening news. Often times I will leave Andrew a few goldfish snacks on the bottom step of the stairs. He tends to make more mess if they are in a snack cup. Anyway, there were the 5 goldfish on the step. Just plain old goldfish. I walked by and noticed that one little fishie was covered in ants - no orange cheesy parts showing! I scooped them up and threw them out. Meanwhile, Jacob had located a toy hammer and was pounding away at the ants on the bottom step. Works for me! Next thing I know, I look across the kitchen and Jacob is straddling the gate at the stairs and climbing up. I politely requested he come down and he replied that he had more ants to kill. Of course, I uttered some typically motherly statement like, "OK, no you're not. Now come back down, PLEASE!" This was followed by "Mom, no really!" In an effort to end this argument, I walk to the stairs to make my point. And then what met my eyes was UNBELIEVABLE! Why I did not grab the camera, I do not know. There, in less than 5 minutes, these determined little ants had made one long trail from the bottom step, where the goldfish had once been, all the way up 6 six steps to the landing and through a hole exiting to the back wall of the house. It was amazing. I have never seen so many well organized ants in all my life. I looked at Jacob, quite dumbfounded, and uttered these profound words, "Honey, I think we have an ant problem." I vacuumed them up and then promptly phoned Brian to pick up more Amdro on the way home. All this over 5 lousy golfish! I'd give them a whole bag full, if they'd just go away. So that is where dear husband is now - obliterating!

The kids are in the other room playing so civilly and quietly. I know Jacob is anxious to hit the sack. He really wants it to be tomorrow so he can see his cousins. I could go for an early bedtime - for me, that is. So I guess soon I will have to be the mean Mommy and request that toys and books be returned to their proper homes. That might take a while - maybe we won't get to bed so early anyway!

1 comment:

Crafty Mom said...

Try a nice layer of Borax around the perimeter of the house and caulking any holes you know they are traipsing in through. We had ants, luckily only once, and this did the trick. We of course waged wore on roaches, earwigs, and another brand of identifiable bug. When Mike put the weather stripping in, it made all the difference. Rain seems to make bugs seek better living indoors. Had any rain lately?????? HA!!!!