Friday, February 16, 2007

About the Fifth's Disease

A dear friend of mine said in a comment that Fifth's disease can be potentially harmful to a pregnant woman and her baby. That is true.

From what I have learned, it seems that the "disease" is of little consequence to most children and adults who get it. But it is possible that it can cause problems for a pregnant woman, most especially in the first half of pregnancy. Additionally, I understand that if you have been exposed before you have a lasting immunity. They can perform a simple blood test to determine this.

We do not know if we have it, but it is possible we have been exposed. There were some cases among the large population of children in our co-op. I called our pediatrician and my OB/GYN yesterday morning. My OB had me come in to have blood taken for the blood test. It will tell two things - if I have been exposed in the past (antibodies present) and if I have been recently exposed. I will find out results either late today, but most likely Monday. My doctor said Baby and I are probably fine, especially at 38.5 weeks, but it pays to know. It is going around here. Thankfully I am at a point in this pregnancy that if there were a problem, Baby could be delivered without it being too early.
I'll let you know how things turn out.

3 comments:

He who wears the most black wins. said...

Yeah, more likely than not you're all fine. I had heard that about it being dangerous for pregnant women, but also that it was limited and more dangerous in the first half of pregnacy.

You've had enough us us praying for God's protective hand over you the last month anyway! I think you're covered.:)

Crafty Mom said...

Glad you got checked out. After coming this far, I would hate for anything to happen. Just wanted to make sure you knew about the whole thing.

While I was pregnant with Nicholas, Robbin's daughter Amanda came down with it and she cautioned us that we had been exposed. I knew I already had it within the past couple years and the doctors said it was no worry. I'm sure it is nothing for you too.

Love to all of you!!

Melissa said...

I'm glad you were checked. Better to be safe than sorry! But you're right--at least you are already to a point where Baby could be safely delivered if need be.

Prayers for a healthy continuation of your pregnancy until Baby is ready to be born!