Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Ash Wednesday at 9:21 PM

Ash Wednesday has come and ALMOST gone (maybe if I go to bed I will forget about food). Despite my lack of energy to do a whole lot of anything, I think the Lenten season has gotten off to a good start. We had a simple breakfast and then went to Mass at 9am. Brian was there to help out and the kids were all really well behaved. We got to take up the gifts. Jacob and Nicole thoroughly enjoyed that! I could tell it made Jacob feel so proud to carry the bowl of hosts that would become Jesus. And Nicole, without any complaints, grabbed the big, heavy basket of food donations and lugged it all the way down the long aisle to the altar. After Mass we were able to visit with many of our friends from our homeschool group. How uplifting and joyful that was for me!

We did not do any school work today. I wasn't sure if we were going to and when I realized the lack of time and our more pressing need to prepare our Lenten activities, we left the Math book in the bucket and opted for paper and scissors. We hung up our Stations of the Cross (8 x 10) around the downstairs. We have done this several years in a row and the kids really love it and get a lot out of it. We have a children's version of the Stations and every Friday during Lent we walk from station to station here at home. Then we began our Lenten chain. This is a chain made of purple construction paper links. Each time one of the kids does something kind, loving, thoughtful, etc. they can tell me and we will put a link on the chain. This year we added on an idea from the Domestic Church website. We spent most of our time today making this little road and all its accessories. I hope the children will enjoy moving our "van" along the road each Sunday of Lent.





The other thing I would like to do is make a crown of thorns to display. If we can manage to make it to Hobby Lobby this week, we might be able to find something there to make one. I just think it would be a simple yet powerful reminder for all of us during this season.

While the kids didn't exactly fast today, we did try to keep our meals and snack pretty simple and plain. At the end of the day, just before dinner, Jacob asked me, "Mom, will we get to eat more tomorrow? Or will we eat less and less each day of Lent?" You know Jacob, I understand those feelings all to well. :)

2 comments:

Crafty Mom said...

I am positive now that you have more energy at 38 weeks than I do not pregnant. Your road is beautiful. I decided to go with the Who Am I Lenten ideas, and Katie is coloring an egg on the workbook page for each day.

Melissa said...

Okay, I'm feeling very uncharitable towards Blogger right now! I just tried leaving you a very lengthy comment and it deleted EVERYTHING! ARGH!!!

But...let me just say once again that I LOVED your post! I love all the tangible ways you are journeying together through Lent with your kids. I ESPECIALLY love the idea of the paper chain, I really think that is something my kids would "get"...we may very well be making one of our own!

A blessed Lent to you and your precious family, a little shopping trip to Hobby Lobby may be just the thing you need to get your labor started! :)