Monday, January 08, 2007

Back to School! ... with a few changes

Back in August, I created a post detailing what we were going to be doing for Jacob's Kindergarten year. It has gone really well and we accomplished most everything we set out to do. But over Christmas, I sat down to reevaluate and consider whether everything we were doing was working and if there were any changes to be made. Ah, the beauty of homeschooling! We are not stuck with the plan just because it's the plan. We can change the schedule, the books, the approach if need be. I love that! Not that I want to change things willy nilly or always be changing - I don't. I like order. But I think as I learn to homeschool, this ability to change things is a blessing.


* I kept the Poetry portion of the syllabus from Laura Berquist, but was not so pleased with how some of the other portions were progressing. I dropped the two days of "Art" as the syllabus had it. I brought back an old favorite which the kids have been asking for. We will now have Tuesday Tea Time again with picture study during that time. The other day will be for an art project, preferably painting, drawing, pastels or clay. I kept the Bible reading and narration that she suggests (do like that), but switched to the New Catholic Picture Bible. Despite Jacob's GREAT ability for reading comprehension, I believe the Golden Children's Bible was just too much - detail, depth, etc. The other will be more to the point and understandable/readable. After much more thought, research and consideration, I have also decided that I prefer the Mater Amabilis curriculum (Catholic Charlotte Mason) in many ways. I think next year we will switch to that, but for now I am striving to incorporate some of their Kindergarten curriculum.

*Math: Horizons Math is working beautifully. I love it! Won't be changing that any time soon.

*Phonics/Reading: We finished Alphaphonics a month or so ago and have just been working through our phonics workbooks (MCP Plaid phonics and Explode the Code). We will continue these and I would like to work in a lot more reading practice. I have been tired in the afternoons and not usually up to lots of activity, so everyone has been resting. Hopefully I can spend a little more time with him before I rest.

*Handwriting: Still going through D'Nealian Manuscript. Still love it! I would like to work in a little more copywork.
------------
*Science: I wasn't sure what to do with science from the beginning. I didn't want to get too over our heads in curriculum, but I also felt like I couldn't count on myself to come up with occasional science lessons that were meaningful and fun. I bought the Kindergarten Sonlight Science Teacher Guide on ebay for cheap and we have been doing that for the most part. I think we all find it a little boring and uneventful though. I am switching to using some books by Evan Moor called the Scienceworks for Kids Series. We will begin with Learning About Weather and hopefully complete Learning About Plants. I know Michele has used these and recommended them. I would like to fit in nature walks too.

*Religion: As I said above, we are changing our Bible to read, but keeping the narration part. I would love to use Cay Gibson's book, Catholic Mosaic, a lot better. It is a lovely resource using picture books to celebrate feasts, etc. throughout the Church Year. As for the Who Am I? series, we are not really using this much at all. We may still pull it out occasionally, but I think I will postpone the Cathechism formally till next year when we will begin the Faith and Life series. We will also start memorizing, and for Jacob copying, a Scripture verse from the Liturgy for the Sunday to come. I think I can really see them growing in their knowledge of the faith with all we have been doing anyway.

*History and Geography: I am tacking on this subject. We have a map workbook, Map Skills, I picked up along the way and Jacob loves it. We will continue this and introduce a book for some additional regular history reading - short snippets. Stories of Great Americans for Little Americans by Eggleston. We will read it 3 times a week this second semester and also focus on a country study one day a week. I am looking forward to this part.

We will also tack on some new read alouds for bedtime instead of just storybooks. We will begin with Rebecca Caudill's Happy Little Family.

I am really excited about these changes and updates and hope Jacob, and Nicole, too, will enjoy them. Wish us luck on our first day back. And here also begins my resolution to turn off the computer after breakfast until much later.

3 comments:

Crafty Mom said...

How funny! I was thinking of posting about my updated curriculum as well. Just have to get around to it soon.

Love all your ideas, especially the Charlotte Mason website.

Melissa said...

OH, I LOVE YOU!!! :)

One of my new year's resolutions was to go ahead and order everything I'd like to use to begin homeschooling in the fall. I want to have time to formulate a lesson plan of sorts without feeling rushed in the fall. I actually sat down at the computer on Saturday, had my virtual "shopping carts" FULL at Emmanuel Books and Catholic Heritage Curricula, but then, in an overwhelmed state of panic and uncertainty (regarding my selections, not my desire to homeschool!) I ended up cancelling both orders so I could research just a little bit more. I just feel like there is SO MUCH wonderful stuff out there and I don't know how to go about narrowing it down!

I remembered that you posted back in August about your curriculum and this morning I was planning to re-read it through your archives. So today's post could NOT have been more timely! :)

I love seeing what you're using, why you like it, what's working, what's not...thank you, thank you, THANK YOU so much for sharing your thoughts with us!!! And thank you, too, for including all the links. I'm going to have to come back when I have more time and really take a look at what you've got here. I clicked a few and I am just SO EXCITED!

Good luck to your family as yoou start back to school. And much love to you and your decreased computer time! How I'd love to be able to actually stop by for a real life visit with all of you!

Michelle said...

I struggled to use the Golden Children's Bible with my oldest son, but my second son absolutely loves it (except for one or two really lengthy passages). My daughter Katie also has been having a hard time with it, so I just switched to another children's Bible. Each child is unique. It's good to be flexible to meet their needs.