Monday, January 08, 2007

Baptism of Jesus

Don't forget (I almost did) that today is the Baptism of Jesus. I managed to squeeze in a few activities. We read about the Jesus being baptized by John the Baptist from our Bible book. Then we colored a picture off catholicmom.com. Later we read about Sacraments in general and, specifically, the Sacrament of Baptism. Then we headed upstairs to drag out the box of Baptismal mementos. Jacob and Nicole loved pulling out the cape that their Grandmommy made and the gown that their Gamma made (it has all their names embroidered on it). We looked at their candles and little Baptismal garments (or bibs as Nicole called them) from the Church and talked about the symbolism of each thing. We recalled godparents' names and why we have them. The children really enjoyed this. It made me commit to celebrating their Baptismal Anniversaries. I know some families do, but we never have. I have thought about doing it many times, so now I think I will really put the dates on our calendar and plan some celebrations. Jacob's is coming up first on February 4th, then Nicole on May 11th, and finally Andrew's on July 17th. What a wonderful thing to discuss, remember and be THANKFUL for.



Jacob after his Baptism. He had already been changed for his party.

Nicole after her Baptism. Somehow we managed to get a picture of her in the gown.


And Andrew just shortly after being baptized. We are still at Church.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Thanks for the reminder! (Oops--I DID forget!)

Your babies were all so beautiful. What a special day it sounds like you all shared today.

The day's not over yet...maybe I can still squeeze in a few activities with my kids! I think mine will be of the read-from-the bible and snuggle-and-look-at baptism-pictures variety. I worked last night and we all just woke up from REALLY LONG naps! :)

He who wears the most black wins. said...

Amen, sister! What a great way to celebrate!

Crafty Mom said...

I try to celebrate my godson's baptismal day each year with a small gift and letter. Just a remembrance that this day is just as important as birthdays. I never thought about celebrating my own children's...what a great idea!! Nick was actually baptized on the Sunday that we celebrate Jesus' baptism so the day was extra special.