Wednesday, December 27, 2006

And finally the Christmas recap

I realize it is now December 27th and I have not entered a truly decent post in many days (even the one on the 23rd was hurried, but I didn't want to miss the little guy's birthday). But I must say I was overjoyed when I sat down today to FINALLY catch up on my blog reading (haven't even had time for that) and saw that most everyone else is also pitifully behind. Yeah!

It has been a whirlwind bunch of days for us, albeit wonderfully fun and enjoyable. It all began long ago on the 20th of December! Brian's brother, sister-in-law, and two nieces arrived that evening for our annual "pre-Christmas" Christmas celebration at Brian's parents. We went over that evening for some dinner and dessert. The next day we went over in the morning to have "Christmas" and spend the day playing and eating and eating and playing. We ended the day with some absolutely delicious grilled steaks by the Master himself (Brian's brother). The next day began again at Brian's parents with a birthday party and presents for all the grandchildren. You see, Jacob and his oldest cousin were both born on the 23rd (4 years apart). The other three grandchildren get included in the celebration since two of their birthdays are not far away and, well, because their grandparents love them all so much! We went out to eat for lunch and then later that afternoon everyone came to our house for the 2nd annual gingerbread (well, graham cracker) house decorating event. We ordered pizza and had a wonderful time. Brian's brother's family headed home the next morning, but we decided to stay home since it was actually Jacob's "real" birthday!



On Saturday morning, Jacob chose a breakfast of cheesy garlic toast. He thoroughly enjoyed it and then we let him open his presents. We had given him the Discovery Toys Super Marbleworks and he absolutely adored it - played with it for hours and hours. Midmorning we headed to the thriving nearby metropolis of Alvin for bowling (Jacob's request) and lunch at a "western type place," the famous Joe's Barbeque (really famous). He expressed so much thankfulness that day - truly genuine - and I was so pleased to see his birthday expectations had been met. At some point late that afternoon Brian headed out to stand in line for our coveted Christmas Eve tamales - 45 minutes waiting for our 2 dozen tamales off the truck. That evening we headed to Mass for the fourth Sunday of Advent and then we came home for a lovely lasagna dinner (also, Jacob's request).
What a day he had celebrating. We all had fun. It was such a memorable family day!





Of course before we knew it, we were waking up to Christmas Eve day. I thought it would be a little more relaxing because we were basically staying home until Mass at 4:30. But it too proved to be busy and packed with activity. I had a birthday cake to bake for Jesus and one more batch of sugar cookie cutouts (Santa would have an empty plate otherwise). I had one more handmade pillowcase to make for one of my little ones and a Christmas Eve meal to think about. At some point I realized I also needed to head back to the store to get a little extra food for our meal that evening. We were going to Mass with my parents at their parish and we were so happy that they also accepted our invitation for dinner afterwards. The amazing thing - there was no one at Kroger on Christmas Eve at 2pm !!!! (Yeah, right!) The whole afternoon and evening were so special with my parents. Mass was long but lovely and our dinner together was lots of fun. After my parents left we hurried the kids to bed and finished preparations. I made an egg casserole to bake in the morning and got all the stuff ready to make caramel sticky buns for our breakfast too. We were up late, but of course it was worth all the smiles on Christmas morning.




And Christmas morning was by far my favorite period of celebration. We got up and searched for baby Jesus hidden upstairs in our bedroom. Nicole found Jesus but she wanted Jacob to be able to place Him in the manger. Brian read us the Christmas story out of their children's Bible before we headed downstairs to see Santa. The children were wide-eyed and so excited to see their Santa gifts all laid out. Jacob's favorite seemed to be his scooter. Nicole fell in love with her Bitty Baby doll and a plain little Ballerina Barbie doll. Andrew was interested in all the toys, especially those that weren't his. :) We had a nice break for breakfast preparations and eating. We opened some presents from my sisters, put Andrew down for a nap and had some more time for Brian and I to open the rest of our presents to each other. After a while we got the house basically tidy and got ready to go spend the day with Brian's parents. We had lunch and more celebration there. It was a fun day! We got home early enough that the kids still had some time to enjoy their Santa toys before bed.



It has been a lovely holiday. We have enjoyed our family time so much. We are full of love and we are also pooped. Shortages of naps were showing their effects and our poor diet wasn't helping. Yesterday we were able to stay home and work around the house. I even managed to get all the toys sorted and organized, as well as some old toys cleared out and put in the van for donating. The children were more on schedule and I think that helps them tremendously. I think even getting things organized yesterday has benefited them greatly. We just aren't used to mounds of toys piled everywhere.

The best part is Brian is still off from work. He goes back on the 2nd and we are so happy to have him around for so many days. Jacob and Andrew have their checkups at the doctor tomorrow morning and then Brian's parents are keeping the kids so Brian and I can have a date for the afternoon and dinner. Can't wait!!!!!! Friday I get to spend a special afternoon out with my dear friend Robin. Can't wait!!!!!! We are also planning a few more visits with family and hope to get our master bathroom painted.

I pray you all had a wonderful Christmas. Despite the tiredness, the busyness, the often times craziness of it all, I wouldn't trade those days for anything. The memories are so valuable to me. And more than anything, it is such a privilege to celebrate our Savior's birth with the children. I want them to love the day because they love Jesus so much. With this in mind, I have been doing something out of the ordinary (for me at least) since Christmas Eve. Usually, I kiss Jacob and Nicole goodnight and then take Andrew to go read a book before bed. Brian then finishes up the last little goodnights, requests and questions. Normally I don't go back in and the kids go on to sleep. These past several nights though I have been going back in to sing a Christmas hymn to Jacob and Nicole. They are quiet with precious, peaceful little smiles, enjoying every note. It is a precious moment for me too. I pray they will remember this and many other beautiful Christmas memories for all their lives.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JESUS!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Celeste, I loved reading every single word of this! What a wonderful time it sounds like you all had. I had to laugh when you said how happy you were to see that everyone else was so behind in blogging...I felt the same way yesterday when I finally sat down to update mine!

Darren is also off from work until January 2 and that, for us, is the best Christmas gift of all. How wonderful for you all that Brian is off, too! Sounds like you all are taking full advantage of every single moment. Hurray for you guys!

I loved your photos, and the opportunity to share the experience of your holiday through your happy and loving words. Thank you!

He who wears the most black wins. said...

What a wonderful update. Thank you so much for sharing all of your traditions and pictures with us.

Now....I supposed I should update a little myself, eh?

:) Cheers and here's to a really blessed new year with a new family member added!