Saturday, December 09, 2006

The Pajama Dilemma

I know some people out there hang out in their pajamas for half the day - some by choice, some by force. I have decided, after a Saturday morning of not getting up early and readying myself, that I do not like remaining in my pajamas until 11:15am. I got nothing done and now I feel bummed out. I guess it makes the difference if you have a lazy pajama day planned, but I did not. Now, I did enjoy sleeping a little later (till 7:30), but I don't like the results of a morning without being ready by 7am. I suppose it is just the "morning person" in me, but I would much rather get up and get ready early - even on a Saturday. That is why I take my shower at night now and have for the past year or so. I was always a morning shower person, but after Andrew arrived it was getting too time consuming and difficult in the mornings to get the shower done. So I decided to start showering in the evening after the kids were asleep and, when Andrew was a baby, Brian could hold him for 15 minutes or so. I have loved it. This way getting ready in the bathroom takes so little time in the mornings - 10 to 15 minutes. I like to be ready to meet the day. I don't wear much makeup, but I like to have it on. I like to be dressed in decent clothes (not all gussied up, but presentable and attractive) and have my hair fixed (I straighten it and brush it out - not too fancy.) All these things come together to make the start to my day a happy and productive one. Add in my early prayer time and I am usually a happy Mama.

No offense to the pajama lovers who read this, but I think I just had a revelation today and know myself a little better. Even though I think I already knew this deep down.

I also believe that maybe it is a little insight for women who are troubled because they don't get much done in the morning or CAN'T get out of their pajamas until 10am. I find that when I am prepared to meet the day, it doesn't so much matter if anyone else is. And I can deal better with those people who are definitely far from ready to meet the day - little people especially. I think sometimes it is good to rework things so they work for you - so you can have a feeling of accomplishment

Now I do love my pajamas after my shower in the evening. Maybe that's my pajama wearing time of day. But no more pajama mornings for me. Well, maybe Christmas morning is a great exception!

3 comments:

Melissa said...

I couldn't agree more! For the longest time I couldn't figure out why I was always so cranky and irritable in the morning, no matter how much sleep I got the previous night. Finally, fortunately, I figured out that when I am able to actually be up, dressed, and wearing my contact lenses by the time the kids get up I am in a MUCH BETTER mood! On those mornings when I wake up late and try to get everybody ready at once, I become one cranky mama! (And not being able to see well with my older than ancient eyeglasses never helps!) Plus I think just the feeling of being "put together" helps tremendously. I mean, how authoritative can I really feel in pajamas and slippers? :)

Anyway, sorry for the long ramble! I'm just so glad you posted this. For a while I thought maybe I was just nuts! I'm so glad I'm not the only one who feels this way.

But I do have to agree: Christmas morning will more than likely find me in pajamas...and that will be perfectly fine for me!

Mom of boys said...

Yep Celeste, I don't see you as a pajama wearer throughout the day! :)

You will crack up though, when I tell you that on Monday, I actually took a shower, and then put my pajama pants and tshirt back on! I then proceeded to have a very productive day getting the house together! (I knew we didn't have to leave it that day!) For me, the shower is the key! Now I think that you hit on something when you pointed out that you are a morning person - I have always considered myself much more of a night owl! Maybe that has something to do with my productiveness in pajamas! Or maybe it is just my love for my flannel pants and slipper socks!

Crafty Mom said...

I think I have to vote with Michele. I need my shower, but could easily hop back into jammies for the day. But that shower is a must!!

There is no place I love more in my home than my bed.