Wednesday, December 13, 2006

My Mom's Sugar Cookies

This is per a request from Kris at Land of the Wee Ones. She was looking for a good sugar cookie cut out recipe. I would post it in her comments section, but thought more might enjoy it if I posted it on my own blog. As I told Kris, to me these are the best in the whole world. Yes, it's my mother's recipe and I grew up on these, so I guess I'm a little biased. But, oh, well. I know everyone has their own favorite, but here is mine!


3/4 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/2 tsp. lemon flavoring
2-1/2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt


Mix soft shortening, sugar, eggs and flavoring. Combine dry ingredients. Add to shortening mixture and blend all thoroughly. Chill at least 1 hour or overnight. Roll 1/8 inch thick, cut and bake at 400 degrees for 6-8 minutes. Do not grease baking sheets. Makes 4 dozen (or so).


P.S. I always use my stoneware so they take just a little longer in the oven.


I decorate them differently depending on the mood. Sometimes I sprinkle lots of colored sugar on before baking and that's it. My favorite, though, especially at Christmas, is to ice with a mixture of milk, powdered sugar and a bit of vanilla and then dump sprinkles on top. I have also dyed the dough before baking and it has turned out good too.


Hopefully we will do some tomorrow - our first batch. I made some thumbprints today and was not pleased with the outcome. Threw away the recipe. Happy baking.

1 comment:

Crafty Mom said...

Thanks for the recipe. We will definately try this one this year. For shortening, use the real stuff not butter or margarine?? And what is lemon flavoring??? Never heard of such a thing.