Friday, December 08, 2006

The soup I could eat till I explode

Thought I'd share a favorite recipe. This one comes from our church cookbook, Mary Queen Cooks, and was submitted by a lady named Lisa Williams (just to give her some credit since it is deserved). It is served every first weekend in December at our parish's annual craft fair. It is always popular. The first year I went, I ate the soup and then quickly proceeded to the Women's Council booth where I purchased the cookbook just to get the recipe. I love it. I could eat it by the bucketful. I made it the other night and froze some to have again on Christmas Eve with our tamales from the local tamale truck (that's another story). So here it is - drumroll, please.

Tortilla Soup

2 cloves garlic, minced
2 T. butter
2 tsp. Tony Chachere's Creole seasoning
4 cans chicken broth
3 cans diced tomatoes, do not drain
1 c. Pace picante sauce
1 bunch cilantro, chopped (discard stems)
4 boneless chicken breasts, cooked and chopped
Prepared rice, amount as desired
Monterey Jack or Cheddar cheese, grated
Tortilla chips, broken into pieces

In a large pot combine butter and garlic and saute for 2 minutes; add Tony's seasoning and stir to mix. Add broth, tomatoes and picante sauce and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Add chicken and rice. Stir in cilantro and let simmer for 5 minutes. When ready to serve, place tortilla chips in the bottom of the bowl and pour soup over the top. Garnish with cheese.

I freeze it since it is a tomato and broth base with not much in it. It does well since you only add the tortilla chips when you serve it.

Enjoy!!!!

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Okay, this sounds really, really good. I'm going shopping tomorrow...but I think I'll need to revise my grocery list first!