Friday, December 15, 2006

Santa

I really wanted to write a post recently about Santa. There was so much discussion about the jolly old guy going on both at Danielle's website and on others. But I decided to hold off and ponder a while. Often times, after reading things like the comments on Danielle's post, which are all fine and good, mind you, I begin to feel like I am a horrible Mommy because I do not do the same in my family. I question and doubt. I beat myself over the head and I bug my husband about my concerns. Then I think and pray - for days sometimes. Usually, by then, I see the light. Many times I have noticed that it comes down, once again, to the question of whether it is a question of "faith and morals." I think that often helps.

The following photo of our newly finished wooden yard ornament, I believe, just about says it all. It seems to capture so well our thoughts and approach to the whole Santa matter.



Need I say more?

Well, yes. I am a prolific talker and writer. Have been all my life. So yes, I must say more. :)

I grew up "doing Santa." I don't remember my mom making a bigger deal out of Santa than Jesus, but we so enjoyed the thought of Santa coming and leaving our gifts. I recall writing a letter to Santa, at least sometimes. We had Santa decorations. I loved to watch "Santa's progress" on the Christmas Eve news cast. I used to look out my sisters' bedroom window for any sign of Rudolph's nose in the night sky. I would shield my eyes from the downstairs view if I had to cross the landing to the bathroom during the night. It was all magical and fun.

But, you know, I also clearly remember not even being allowed to decorate until AFTER the Feast of the Immaculate Conception. I remember how I loved to arrange the Nativity. In our younger years, we would head off to 8am Mass on Christmas morning not long after looking at our presents. I remember searching for Baby Jesus and placing him in the Nativity. I recall the Advent wreath and the emphasis on going to Confession to prepare.

It all seemed to have perfect balance. I think my mother did a beautiful job, in this and area and in so many others, of making sure we understood the truly spiritual aspect of the fun. I don't think I would be able to pass that on to my children if she had not done her job well. I do not believe I was spiritually scarred by our belief in and fun with Santa Claus.

As far as feeling let down or lied to when finding out that Santa's not real, I did not. I know many did and that's OK. Feelings are feelings. I can honestly say I have no clue or memory of finding out. I guess it made no real impression on me. I do remember my parents continued to lay out our "Santa gifts" in our designated spots for many years after we knew the truth. More heartbreaking to me was the year when my mother asked us girls (we were teenagers at least, possibly some of us college age) if we would mind if she just wrapped our presents under the tree. I remember feeling disappointed about that, but of course I already knew the truth and was merely sad to see the Santa years go.

In our home, we will continue to celebrate Santa as we have grown up with and have in past years. I think if anything, we will increase our religious celebrations all the more. I cannot deny my children the magic I so loved. I know someday they will find out the truth. I do not know how that will affect them when they do. Like so many things in this journey, I will have to pray hard and do my best when the time arrives. It is possible they could take the whole Santa thing poorly, but they could do that with so many things in their young lives. We will try to steer them away from any focus on gifts, but I believe in some ways that comes naturally to a child. I think you could leave out Santa, the parents give the gifts and children would STILL anticipate the unwrapping. It is part of childhood. I think it is connecting that excitement with the excitement we feel about the gift of Jesus' birth that helps it develop meaning.

We love Jesus. We love preparing for His coming. The children adore the Saints and love those celebrations. But we also enjoy the magic of Santa. We will do our best to put the focus where it should be and enjoy the whole lot of Christmas fun and joy!

Just as Santa would, may we kneel down in worship and praise before our Precious Infant Jesus.

5 comments:

Melissa said...

Beautiful job, Celeste. Very well said! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us here. I know just what you mean about "question and doubt" when it comes to the way other families do things. And I really admire your approach, to think and pray, for days at a time if needed. It sounds as though you all enjoy a perfectly balanced Christmas, and I love your description of your childhood Christmases!

And, I REALLY LOVE your new yard ornament!

Mom of boys said...

My sentiments exactly! I agree with every single bit that you wrote. We will continue to do Santa, but like you said, maybe increase our religious prep more.

I think that we have had this discussion before, but the Kneeling Santa is my absolute favorite decoration! Did Brian make that? It is fabulous!!!

Crafty Mom said...

As you will see soon in my post that is still in editing, we read a lovely book that incorporates Santa right into the real reason for Christmas. You may want to take a look at it if you can get your hands on it.

I have never questioned Santa, it is merely part of a tradition, and traditions are important no matter how silly or imaginary. They make family memories, and give us things to bring us together. Besides, I have found my daughter to adore the Nativity (ours is Little People until they are older) and especially love going to Church to see Jesus finally in his manger. She is far more talkative about Jesus and Mary than Santa and presents.

It is all about how we present our feelings and values.

He who wears the most black wins. said...

I couldn't agree more, Celeste. Thank you for such a good post.

Michelle said...

So the lesson for you is to not be so concerned with how everyone else does things. It's good to listen to others' ideas and to glean what you like and maybe alter some things about yourself if it speaks to you to do so - that's how we grow and shape ourselves. But your faith does not hinge on these traditions - cherished and fun.

Did you see SFO Mom's family Santa tradition? I have a hard time seeing anything at all evil in it.