Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Christmas Mess

I know. I realize it is only November 28th, but I believe we are in for a long month of Christmas mess. It has only just begun. Christmas itself is messy with all the wrappings and boxes and cookie crumbs, but I think I have decided that Christmas decorating is by far the messiest. I guess I should express some thankfulness, because at least it keeps me from being bored! :) We had a long weekend of decorating and refinishing the front door and sawing in the garage. The floors were absolutely horrible, but I knew that vacuuming and mopping at that point would be self-defeating, so I didn't. Yesterday we finished decorating the inside of the house and the boxes are once again sealed and awaiting replacement in the attic. We were very busy with school and decorating yesterday, so I designated Tuesday as the day! And, I must say, after a lovely dinner including lots of sticky white rice, I was glad I had waited - gotta wait till the stuff dries out. So this morning after breakfast (with lots of toast crumbs) I began. I vacuumed the whole downstairs, half the stairway and mopped the kitchen. As I look at the front hall I realize it needs wiping down too. Lots of dirty footprints. While freeing the stairs from the millions of fake garland and Christmas tree needles, I noticed something green and questioned whether or not it was actually Easter grass. Even though we banned plastic Easter grass several years back, I wouldn't be surprised if I were still finding it in every nook and cranny. Now, if everyone could manage not to eat, drink, come in from outside, cut paper or touch the Christmas tree and garland, I might be able to keep the floors clean. Yeah, right.

But you know, it is the mess that reminds me we are living and loving. Mess is inevitable. Happy children and lots of fun and work well-done are worth it all. I know it has been said before, but someday the mess will be gone and so will the children. Maybe I will offer up the messes and clean up 60 more times today with a cheerful, thankful heart. Happy Mess!!!!

2 comments:

He who wears the most black wins. said...

Happy Mess indeed. I am learning the same lessons over and over again. Thanks for another reminder.

Melissa said...

Oh, so true! I ALMOST cleaned my house from top to bottom last Wednesday, thinking it would be nice to have it clean when we decorated. Then, in a moment of clarity, I thought "Who am I kidding?!" :)

We go through the same mess over here, without fail, every time we get out our seasonal decorations. Meghan is really keeping us on our toes this year, as she finds the tiniest, most obscure bits of stuff which she (naturally!) tries to IMMEDIATELY shove in her mouth. Good times!

Praise God for your thankful, happy heart...and for the joy of the mess!