Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Getting to Know Me and My Christmas Spirit

Robin sent this to me in an email and I decided I would put it on my blog instead. And I would like to tag Michele and Nicole.

1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate?

I really enjoy spiced tea when it's cold, but I like hot chocolate too. If I drink egg nog these days, it has to be the light version. The original version is just to rich and sweet for me now.

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree?

As in our families growing up, the presents are grouped for each child some where in the same room as the tree, unwrapped.

3. Colored lights on tree/house or white?

We have white lights on the house and last year we switched to white lights on the tree. I like them so much better!

4. Do you hang mistletoe?

No, but we always did growing up - it was a really funny plasticy one.

5. When do you put your decorations up?

Sometime during the week after Thanksgiving. It usually takes a while to do it all.

6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)?

Tamales on Christmas Eve.

7. Favorite Christmas memory as a child.

Really, the anticipation of Christmas morning. I remember looking out of my bedroom window after bedtime searching for Rudolph's red nose. I remember getting up during the night to go to the bathroom. To get to the bathroom from my room you had to cross a big landing that overlooked the den. I always put my hand up to shield my eyes for fear of seeing my gifts.

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa?

I have no earthly idea. I just remember my parents kept laying out gifts like always, even after my sisters and I were much older.

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve?

Nope.

10. How do you decorate your Christmas tree?

Brian gets the tree out of the box and sticks the layers together. Both of us do the shaping (reshaping), but somehow I think I usually do most of it. Then we put the lights on. Then the kids all help put ornaments on. It never takes long. They hang them wherever and for the most part we let them be. At the very end, we move the tree into the corner, I put the tree skirt on and Brian puts the star on top.

11. Snow!

Love it - the 2 times I've seen it, that is.

12. Can you ice skate?

Yes, sort of. I have been several times at the rink at the Galleria. I have to run myself into the walls to stop.

13. Do you remember your favorite gift?

No, I really don't. We always got so many things we loved. I don't remember one big favorite standing out though.

14. What's the most important thing about the Holidays for you?

Nowadays, it is helping my children prepare during Advent to welcome Jesus. It is so much fun to share all the fun and joyful celebrations with them - the presents, the decorations, the cookies. But I feel a strong sense of responsibility to help them focus on the right part - Christ our Lord.

15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert?

Cookies, cookies and more cookies. My mom's recipe for iced sugar cookies are my absolute favorite. I love them all, except the Christmas rocks my mother always made. We are going to bake tomorrow.

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition?

Decorating. Baking. Actually, I have always loved Christmas Eve Midnight Mass. We haven't been in several years (since before Jacob) and I miss it. There is something about going to Mass in the dark middle of the night that is beautiful and awe inspiring. Hopefully we will do it again soon.

17. What tops your tree?

A red punched tin star.

18. Which do you prefer giving or Receiving?

I'd have to say both. It is so much fun to give. To my husband because I love to surprise him and please him. To my children because they are just so much fun to buy for. It is fun to put thought into gifts for others. It is fun to receive because it is neat to see the thought other people put in to gifts for me, especially Brian.

19. What is your favorite Christmas Song?

Hands down, "What Child Is This?" And I think I found the absolute perfect version by Mercy Me. Stunning.

20. Candy Canes! yuck or yummy?

Yummy.

21. Fave Christmas Movie?

The Muppet Christmas Carol, but I love so many of them.

ENJOY!

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Oh, Celeste, I love you! This was so much fun to read. I especially liked your answer to number 7, I used to shield my eyes, too! I'd sneak into my brothers' room and spend the rest of the night sleeping on their floor until it was time to go wake my parents.

Reading this made me so happy. Thanks for a great start to my morning! I hope you have a great day!