Saturday, November 25, 2006

It's Beginning to look a lot like Christmas



It is Saturday after Thanksgiving. As we drive around, running errands,etc., we are seeing more and more Christmas decorations going up, including our own. I wasn't sure I would be ready this weekend. Growing up we had waited until after the Feast of the Immaculate Conception on December 8th. While that was never a problem, Brian and I decided we wanted to do it differently for our family. To me Christmas is a season so full of joy and excitement and we like to begin the celebrations earlier. I really believe it is so much about what you focus on and not so much when. But I appreciate the fact that all families have different traditions and timelines. I think that is what makes family life beautiful. I believe that taking joy in the lights and the tree and the cookies are not bad things. When our focus is on Jesus, then these are beauties and joys that only add to our celebration of Him!

We had contemplated waiting until the First Sunday of Advent, next weekend. But on Thanksgiving, I was feeling festive and we decided it would be fun to at least get started this weekend.

This morning Brian and Bill (Robin's husband with the taller ladder) got all the lights on the house that go way up high. We will finish up the rest of the lights little by little and start working on the rest of the house. Tonight we will put up our tree, enjoy cocoa and tea and hopefully a fire. What a glorious time of year! This year Brian is going to cut out our very first wooden yard decoration - I can't wait!!!!!!

I hope you enjoy your family time together as you decorate, celebrate and prepare!

2 comments:

He who wears the most black wins. said...

I love it! It all sounds so wonderful. We got our tree out this morning and the kids and I are making a gingerbread house and setting up the creche this afternoon. I, too, love this entire season.

What is more magical for a family than waiting together for the baby Jesus to arrive?

Merry Christmas.

Melissa said...

How exciting! It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas around here, too. We've been decorating slowly over this holiday weekend (it seems like the more "helpers" we have each year, the slower we go!) I'll try to post later about what we've been doing.

Sounds like you all are having a very lovely weekend! I'm like you, I just want to celebrate and anticipate for as long as possible before Christmas. It's such a magical time of year...for kids AND grown-ups!

God bless your family as you enjoy the rest of your weekend!