Monday, November 27, 2006

An Eight Year Old Tradition

I guess this tradition had its beginning on our honeymoon, as we browsed the Amelia Island shops eight and a half years ago. We bought ourselves a small blue egg Christmas ornament depicting places on the Island. It was our first "married" Christmas ornament. We happily hung it on our tree that December. I think we even got out the camera tripod and took a photo of us hanging it. Then, that first Christmas (we'd been married almost 6 months), Brian gave me another new ornament on the tree - a sweet Nativity that he had written on the bottom of to commemorate the year. Little did I know then that it would become a tradition. Each year Brian "surprises" me with an ornament he has chosen. Now we have eight years of treasured ornaments. Last night, as we sat in front of the tree and the fire with the kids, enjoying the last moments of our long weekend, we tried to find them all. Finally, we did. It was a fun little journey through the ornaments. I love this tradition that my precious husband began - he is thoughtful and sentimental (only 2 of the many reasons I married him). I am excited to imagine 20 years from now the collection of wonderful treasures on our tree. For now, though, I will enjoy the eight we have and look forward to the ninth installment in the series.

The Honeymoon Ornament



1998 - A Kneeling Santa



1999 - A Sparkly White Reindeer



2000 - Another Precious Nativity



2001 - An Old World Cross



2002 - Noah's Ark



2003 - A Lovely Angel



2004 - A Glass Snowman



2005 - A Waterford Snowflake

3 comments:

Melissa said...

What a sweet and loving tradition! Your husband sounds like a real gem!

He who wears the most black wins. said...

I love the tradition!!

Anonymous said...

What a lovely gift! My mom always took us as kids to pick out one new ornament each year. I have continued this with Katie and Nick and label each with the year and their name. I hope to give them a box with all their ornaments when they are grown.