Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Exceptional

My kidos, that is.

OK, so let me brag just briefly while it is all still fresh in my head. And let me thank God while it is all still fresh in my head - how often I forget that one. So easy to focus on the difficulties, problems and trials and forget those really exceptional evenings.

Brian went off to his monthly Opus Dei Evening of Recollection. I was left with the kids - nothing new. I set about cleaning up Andrew and cleaning up the kitchen after dinner. This is where the exceptional part begins.

:) Nicole willingly, cheerfully and thoughtfully cleared the table, helped load the dishwasher, wiped down the placemats (her usual job), and wiped down the chairs.

:) Jacob vacuumed like never before. This is a task I am always reluctant to turn over to anyone because I am frustrated by all the missed food and crumbs. Not tonight. I only said once, "Jacob do a super job. You can see the food, so try and get it all." And what a job he did, so cheerfully too. I never had to prod.

:) They cleaned up toys willingly.

:) Jacob helped me get the tub ready for baths (lots of heavy work and bending).

:) They bathed and got out without fussing or complaining or arguing.

:) They got pajama-ed and toothbrushed in a jiffy (no small feat for one little girl I know.)

WOW! What an evening. I can't wait to tell Brian!

Now, before I go any further, I must clear up a few things. Do my children always do this? NO! They are great kids, but they are kids just like the rest of them. More often than not, I hear:

"Why do I always have to wipe down the placemats?"

"Buuuuuut, I was just beginning to read a book."

"Aaaaaaaw."

That's exactly why I must chronicle this evening for all posterity. Because it is worth remembering. It is what I should remember when I am frustrated by their normal kid behavior. I love these kids. They are gifts. They are gems. They make life so worthwhile. And I am proud to be their Mommy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love nights or days like that. They truly are a treasure, and it always makes me feel so good inside. As you have seen from me, they are few and far between these days. By the way, Katie adored the Missing Piece so much that we read it twice a day for about 2 weeks. Luckily it found its way back to the library intact!!

Melissa said...

How wonderful! What sweet and thoughtful children!

He who wears the most black wins. said...

Just wonderful. ;) Thanks for sharing the good stories too.

Now...if you could just send those sweet children to my house so they can prepare breakfast for my children, while I dry heave into the sink....