Sunday, May 06, 2007

Busy Weekend

It was a busy weekend around here. Saturday was mostly spent rearranging and organizing. As you may have realized from my previous post, we now have stacked bunk beds in the kids' room. Jacob and Nicole have shared a room for a while with the bunk beds separated on the floor. Andrew was still sleeping in the nursery in the crib. Well, as Michael gets older and bigger, we were wanting to free up the crib for him. So it was time for Andrew to move out of the nursery and move into the big kid room.

We ate breakfast and then I made a trip to Wal-Mart for odds and ends and to the Mattress store. While I was gone and Michael napped, the others got busy with lots of rearranging and LOTS of vacuuming. I honestly can't believe the amount of dust that collects. When I got home, there was a lot of mess and a lot of work to be done, but I was SO pleased with the results.

To make a long, and potentially boring story short, here's how our day of work turned out!

* The bunk beds got stacked and moved. We bought a new mattress and springs for Andrew. And now they all sleep together. Some little people have been up late last night and tonight, but they are happy for the most part. I am amazed at the amount of floor space still available in that room. We shifted the toy shelf out into the loft area and moved my old sewing desk in. Now they have another work space available.

* I have been cleaning out and reorganizing a small loft area upstairs that has always been called my "craft room." For quite a few years now, it has operated as my station for stamping and cardmaking and a little scrapbooking. My hundred plus rubber stamps were hanging on one wall and a large white table was my work space. It also double as storage for lots of craft stuff and other odds and ends. I am less interested in rubber stamping these days, but still didn't want to sell it all - at lest not yet. So I shifted it all into well labelled boxes and drawers that are still quite accessible for projects. The loft area is still part storage, but now functions as another play area as well. It works great!



* And my favorite change of all! That wonderful, large white desk/table that used to be in the loft area is now in my bedroom!!!! I am so excited. Quilting is craft of choice and I think I love it more than I ever loved stamping. So easy. So therapeutic. So peaceful. It is truly a joy to create. Stamping always required so much thought and too many gizmos and doodads. ANYWAY, my quilting has always been a "whole-house" craft - which means I quilted all over the house. I would sew on a small desk in our bedroom (too noisy in the loft area). I would cut on my cutting mat on the kitchen island downstairs. I would pin and trim threads on my bed. I would iron on the bathroom counter. Not ideal, but I was determined. As I was making reorganizing plans, I realized the wonderful white desk in my craft room (really quite large now that I look at tit) would be a perfect spot for all my quilting needs - if only I could convince Brian to move it into our bedroom. I didn't have to do much convincing. My wonderful husband had moved it first while I was at Wal-Mart. I tried it out today and it is wonderful. SO MUCH room for my sewing. I can cut here. I can iron here. Yippee!!!!!!!!!



We worked and worked. I organized and organized. And by yesterday evening the house was back in order and most everything that had spent the day strewn across our bedroom was now in a new home. It is beautiful.

Ooooh, I almost forgot to mention. Earlier in the week while I was cleaning out closets upstairs, I emptied out an entire hallway linen closet. Just by cleaning out, throwing away and regrouping/reorganizing. This empty closet is now half full - of quilting!!!!!



Some of you may think this post is strange. "My goodness! This girl goes on and on about organizing." But those of you who know me well, know this kind of thing (organizing and cleaning out, that is) really floats my boat. Give me a space and I'll transform it! I love it. And I love all my new spaces.

No comments: