Wednesday, May 09, 2007

What will it be next?

Some days I find myself asking that question.

Today's answer is thrush.

Well, yippee. I have been agonizing over it all day long. I know deep down that there are moms out there who have it so much worse than I do, but that thought never gives me much peace. While thrush is relatively minor in the grand scheme of things, it is a lot for me right now. It is that "one more thing." It is not life threatening or terribly serious, but quite annoying and frustrating. Recent days have been filled with arguing, fussing, tantrums, tiredness and busyness - some of that from the kids :)) I am tired lately and worn out. I am behind on tasks (but it's bothering me less and less). When I realized today that it really is thrush, I just wanted to throw my own little temper tantrum. I just don't feel like dealing with this right now. But the thing is - I must. No choice. If we want thrush gone, I have to deal with it. I have to deal with everything. I don't get to toss out any of those difficult challenges of late and just say, "No thanks. Not right now." I must continue to deal with all the problems and little annoyances life sends my way because deep down the only thing that gives me consolation is to know that it is through these sufferinsg (even if small), I am being redeemed, refined and made stronger.

As I read to the children tonight before tucking them in, there was a Bible verse in their storybook that keeps coming to mind since then. Not a new one, but a good one.

"Rejoice always, pray constantly, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you." 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

I can pray about this thrush situation. I can pray it heals. I can pray I make it through and dont get too frustrated. I can even pray for a miraculous healing if I want! But one thing I must also do is rejoice and give thanks. I must rejoice and give thanks for all that is good in my life. But somehow I also have to find a way to rejoice and give thanks about this particular situation - the thrush. That is the hard part. But apparently that is God's will for me this day. This moment.

Thrush will not last forever (though I've heard it's tough to eradicate) - Rejoice! To get us through we have La Leche League leaders who help us tremendously - Give Thanks! This might be one more thing to help me slow down - Rejoice! There is a treatment - Give Thanks! I am being redeemed, refined and made stronger - Hallelujah!

You pray for me. I'll pray for you.

5 comments:

Melissa said...

Oh, Celeste! I feel your frustration. I wish there was some tangible way I could help. I'd do it in a heartbeat! But since you're there and I'm here, I'll do all I can do which is too pray--HARD!--for your peace and happiness. I love your reflection on rejoicing and giving thanks for all things in our lives...even the burdens. Such a very timely reminder and one too often forgotten in my own life. Hugs to you, friend! :)

Michelle said...

Hang tough, honey.

Crafty Mom said...

Thrush really isn't that bad. Katie had it as a baby. And with the oral yellow goo it was gone quickly. The worst is it does stain, so protect anything you don't want yellowed.

Sadly enough, I have had it twice too. Goofy for an adult, but it comes when super-stressed and taking asthma medications. Again, it is more of a nuisance than anything bad.

With all the overwhelmingness of life right now, take it day by day, and look for the joyful moments. They are there!!

He who wears the most black wins. said...

You got it, sister.

"Splinters From the Cross"

Little headaches, little heartaches
Little griefs of every day,
Little trials and vexations,
How they throng around our way!
One great cross, immense and heavy,
So it seems to weak our will,
Might be borne with resignation,
But these may small ones kill,
Yet all life is formed of small things,
Little leaves, make up the trees,
Many tiny drops of water
Blending, make the mighty seas.
Let us not then by impatience
Mar the beauty of the whole,
But for love of Jesus bear all
In the silence of our soul.
Asking Him for grace sufficient
To sustain us through each loss,
And to treasure each small offering
As a splinter from His Cross.


God love you, Celeste. This too shall pass. Shepherd and I passed thrush back and forth as well. It's no walk in the park. But, it WILL be okay and you WILL get through it with our prayers and your positive outlook and trust in Him.

Jennifer @ Conversion Diary said...

Ugh, I'm so sorry! I have had quite a few "what's next?" days lately myself lately so I can relate. :)

If you have any interest, I'm reading an amazing book right now that's really helped me get through stuff like this. It's called He Leadeth Me by Fr. Walter Ciszek. His life was basically one unfair situation after another when he was unfairly imprisoned at a slave labor camp in Siberia, and hearing about his experiences and what he learned has really helped me face those moments when I just feel totally overwhelmed by it all.

Anyway, you'll be in my prayers!