Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Daily Mass

Well, I have always been a big chicken about this one (or at least since I have had children). I really desire to attend daily Mass, but never have out of fear that I would be unable to handle the great fiascoes that might ensue if It did brave it alone. I have been thinking about it a lot lately. I have thought about how Jacob and Nicole are getting better at Mass, esp. Jacob and how Andrew doesn't do so bad normally for the first half hour of Sunday Mass. And, you know, daily Mass IS shorter (I told the kids that this morning). I have to step to the back or out with Andrew on most Sundays, so why not just do that at daily Mass? I just have to drag them all along. :)) I want the children to love Mass and grow up attending more than just on Sundays.

So today I took the plunge. I got brave. Not to mention I found the daily morning Mass mecca for homeschoolers with small children. We got ourselves up as normal, ate our breakfast and then headed out the door for 9am Mass at a parish 10 minutes from here. The Mass at our parish is at 8:30am (a little harder to make) and not quite so populated with little bitties. Many of the families we know well from Opus Dei meetings or our local Catholic homeschool group attend daily Mass there and sure enough they were there today - kind of like my own little support group. It went very well, minus an angry outburst from Nicole, and I feel great about the whole experience.

I have decided we will start slowly. We will begin with one daily Mass each week - most likely Wednesday. Then we will slowly add on days as we (I) get braver. I watched the other moms I know and felt comfort in the fact that our children are much the same in their Mass behavior. And I do believe age makes a HUGE difference!

So, here begins another adventure. And I know God will reward us all, even if things go less than perfectly. We are there. We have a desire to love him and receive him. We are all growing. He knows our hearts and our intentions. And I know the graces will flow abundantly for our efforts.

4 comments:

He who wears the most black wins. said...

You are my current hero. Seriously. I am so impressed with you and inspired. I have wanted to take my family to daily mass for a long time but, like you, have been intimidated thus far about taking small children BY MYSELF.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Now, I think I might be able to give it a go. :) I'll keep you posted.

Keep it up, sister!

Michelle said...

Good luck...I hope you succeed, honestly.

But you know, soon you'll be saying the rosary with other moms in the freezing cold...

Melissa said...

Daily Mass at my parish consists of a couple dozen chairs arranged in a half circle around the small alter in the daily chapel. Not quite ready to brave that alone yet!

Celeste Creates said...

No hero status necessary. All by the grace of God. But is good to know that others can be inspired and encouraged by what I believe God is leading me to do.