Sunday, October 22, 2006

Freezeritis

I tell you, I am loving it! My freezer, that is. I love the thing. I have been busy, busy, busy and it is filling up so nicely. It is so much fun and so rewarding to open up the back door, open up the freezer door and add a few more things to my stash. I love it!

I think I said a while back I would chronicle what I was doing. So here's the synopsis. Of course, I reorganized the inside refrigerator freezer, keeping only the daily necessity type things inside, like ice cream. Then I went to Sam's one day last week - something I haven't done in a while because I haven't had the space to make it worth my while. I bought 2 big bags of my very favorite Tyson frozen chicken breasts, 2 whole fresh young chickens (2 in a pack, great price), another bag of the oh, so essential chicken nuggets, a very large pizza, and 12 pounds of lean ground beef. I bought other stuff, but it was not for the freezer. The pizza, I figured out when I got home, needed to be baked soon and was not recommended for freezing. So I popped it in the oven and froze it cooked. Then I began the beef division process. :) In 2 bags I put a pound each, raw. In another 2 bags, I put 1.5 lbs raw (meatloaf requirement) and then I browned the other 7 lbs. I divided those into 1 lb bags. Yippee!

So that was the Sam's trip. Then I baked. Thursday the kids and I made Melissa's pumpkin chocolate chip cookies - a double batch! They were fantastic. I know Melissa talked about them on her blog and the recipe is also on Robin's blog. Well worth trying. I froze 2 dozen of those. Then Friday I made super easy Snickerdoodles. I froze 1.5 dozen. Then tonight I made pumpkin bread - my absolute favorite. My mom gave me the recipe and I don't know where it came from. Anyway, it makes 2 or 3 loaves depending on the size of the loaf pan. I froze one of the 2 I baked. Last, but not least, I made chicken spaghetti for dinner Thursday night. It makes a 9x13 dish and so I doubled it. We ate half over 2 nights. I froze another half and then also froze the other whole dish in halves.

It is so nice to know I have all this wonderful food out there. I am sure it costs a little more at the outset, but eventually it will really pay off. I also had two containers of my spaghetti sauce and two of my chili, which had been inside, as well as some cornbread. I have more things to try this week. I will let you know how it all goes.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

WOW!!! You have been BUSY! It all so sounds so wonderful, now I really can't wait to get my moms extra freezer! I can imagine that once your new little one arrives, you'll REALLY appreciate all the efforts you've been putting into stocking your freezer!

Mom of boys said...

I hadn't thought of browning the ground beef before I put it in the freezer! What a great time saver!

Do you know if you can always make rolls and then freeze them or is it just certain kinds of bread?

I am very impressed!