Monday, October 30, 2006

Edifying Speech

From today's readings (and a little extra):

"No foul language should come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for needed edification, that it may impart grace to those who hear....All bitterness, fury, anger, shouting and reviling must be removed from you, along with malice. And be kind to one another, compassionate, forgiving one another as God has forgiven you in Christ." Eph 4:29, 31-32

As I read this in Scripture this morning, I was reminded of how often I need this reminder. These verses are strong, compelling and convicting. They can hit home often. These are not always easy instructions to swallow. Yet, they are there for us, each one of us, to read, internalize and act upon. The Word of God is living and effective and it must live in us and work in us.

Now, in posting this, I'm not saying that I, or those reading this, actually use what we consider "foul language." But aside from "bad words," can't we also think about this passage as applying to the subjects of our conversations, the tone and manner in which we speak to those we love, and even the effort to think about what we say before we say it. How much of what I say misses the mark? Is what I say always what is for "needed edification"? Or how often is my speech laced with bitterness or anger? Does my speech "impart grace"? I try, certainly. But too many times to count I fall short.

I found it interesting that in today's Gospel, Jesus gets upset and speaks harshly to the leaders of the synagogue for their hardness of heart. Was he wrongly angry? Of course not. But his speech was justified in that it was meant to admonish, correct and "edify." To edify those stubborn souls.

So today I have spiritual food for thought. Maybe today I will be a little more aware of the ways in which I fall short of these precepts. Maybe today Christ will reach my hardened heart and change my stubborn ways. May Christ be evident in what I say AND what I don't say, whether it be to my family and friends or strangers, on the telephone or on my blog. May it all be edifying and impart grace.

I feel like I must. So let me say it. Amen. :)))

4 comments:

He who wears the most black wins. said...

Amen.

This is SO what I needed to read this morning. For some reason, baby number 4 is taking a little more out of me and I am feeling A LOT more tired and A LOT less patient.

Thanks for this! And, may God bless your efforts.

Suzanne Temple said...

This is lovely, Mom to Almost Four, and can I say that I am a ditz for not realizing you had a blog?? I would click on your picture and there was no link to your blog. You need to fix that, by the way. Anyway, I did find it through Bountiful Blessings and I am glad I did.

Celeste Creates said...

Suzanne, thanks for telling about the blog thing. I thought it did list it. I just tried to change it and couldn't get it to work. Sometimes blogger can be so uncooperative!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I found your blog through a link at Blog Patrol, not via your profile page. Meant to tell you...


I think the reason I won't let the kids use "stupid" or other words like that is because it's not the word, it's the intent. Some things/people/situations/actions ARE stupid (make no sense, are counter to what is good or right), but the word is generally meant (by children) as a put-down, not an identifier. Know what I mean? We can all be angry or say mean things without cursing. And what's the difference if I use SUGAR! as an exclamation instead of SH!T? Shouldn't I be mild ALL THE TIME?

Ah, more stuff for the confession box...