Sunday, October 01, 2006

Feast of St. Therese

Today is such a wonderful feast - St. Therese, our Little Flower. I read with the children a sweet book we have about her childhood, St. Therese in Jesus' Garden, and, as a family, we watched parts of the movie, Therese. The children love learning about the lives of the saints.

As I read our story and watched the movie, I was reminded about Therese and her "Little Way." I know she desired to be a saint and was quite holy, but yet she is known for her little sacrifices and offerings. She made her way to holiness through the little things of every day. The difficult tasks done cheerfully, the small mortifications, and the little kindnesses done for others that no one would notice - all these offered up to Jesus. And she prayed - prayed heartily for the conversion of sinners that she did not even know. Her way was little, yet so big!

If only I could be so little. So many times I cannot even do these little things that she did so well. She once lamented at her sinfulness for taking the largest piece of cake after dinner one night. Boy, do I have a long way to go! :)

For me, the past several days of sickness in the house and especially today, have shown me how much I need to focus on being more like Therese and following her little way. As common as childhood viruses are, (and I must say I have improved in my dealing with them in a less worried manner), I still find myself wearied and frustrated when everyone seems under the weather and not quite well. Today is a great example. Andrew still has a poor appetite, Jacob is coughing (but happy), Nicole is tired, I am fighting allergies and possibly a little cold too, and now Brian has had a fever and is somewhat sick. Today I felt as though I'd had enough. I felt lonely and tired and sick of sick. Yes, yes, it's only been 5 days and not too horrendous, but it does wear on a mother. I don't think the wrong, though, is in the feelings of weariness or frustration, but in my failure to accept the difficulties (the Cross) and go about my "little way" with joy and peace. Instead, I'm teary, I snap at the children, I fuss over spilled water (of course, it did all land in my freshly served dinner plate), I sigh lots and lots, I am less than understanding (like this virus is anyone's fault), and I have a general dissatisfaction for the service I am called to. That just about sums. I cannot focus on the little way because I am too focused on little me - LITTLE me.

So here I sit tonight. There are still a few toys to pick up, a dishwasher to empty and reload, coffee to make and a grocery list to prepare. But the children are happily asleep, the house is quiet, and Brian is content watching football in bed :) So I pick myself up. I pray to our Lady and St. Therese for a new resolve and a joy that can be found in forgetting me and looking to all the little people and little needs that can be cared for with love and offering.

I pray for you. You pray for me.

2 comments:

He who wears the most black wins. said...

It's a deal.

Little me and little you can work on being littlER together.

Have a great week.

Melissa said...

Thank you so much for sharing this beautiful perspective. I often feel exactly the way you described: "a general dissatisfaction for the service I am called to." I'm so glad to know I'm not alone in sometimes feeling this way, and will keep you in my prayers as I go about improving my own "little way".