Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Ode to books

Melissa was talking about a bit of reorganizing today and mentioned clenaing out some books. Yes, I have done that too - just not very often. It got me gazing at my shelves, wondering what treasures I should order next from Amazon. Then I got a little inspired and a little silly. Following is the result of my silliness. Sorry Elizabeth Barrett Browning!



How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
I love thee to the pages and cover and spine
And the smell of a new one, leave me feeling so divine;
For the knowledge they impart each and every day.

I love thee as thee arrive by UPS at my door
Waiting to be loved, by children and their kin.
I love thee truly, no matter what shape thee are in;
I love thee abundantly, scattered across the floor.

I love thee with the passion put to use
In reading stacks daily, imparting childhood joy.
I love thee faithfully as my children choose you
First and foremost everyday, better than any toy.
Wonderful books fill our lives and, space permitting,
I shall love thee as I continue to fill our shelves till splitting.




Here are a few photos. These do not include the shelves in the kids room (smaller) and the miscellaneous books scattered here there on tabletops and in drawers.






I LOVE BOOKS!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you think that is bad... I will blog some photos of our own library. I just got the new Rainbow Resource catalog and am browsing away at books. Let's not forget our beloved public library stacks either. Such booklovers are we. Do we need to form a support group? Booklovers Anonymous!!!

Melissa said...

I love it! I'm so jealous...in our limited living space two of our largest bookshelves have been relegated to our bedroom closet! (You're right...I LOVE Elizabeth Foss' closet! Before we had kids, the entire second bedroom of the apartment we were living in was packed with bookshelves and one small desk!)

Michelle said...

Love that Children's Bible - have the same one.